Here are ten things you need to know about the trending hash tag #FreeAkoguns:
1. Abdulrasheed Akogun and Dare Akogun on a popular WhatsApp group (Kwara Commission) alleged that the AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq led Kwara state government is the most corrupt government they have ever known. They posited that some persons in the government, including the CPS to the Governor – Rafiu Ajakaye and other persons close to the government facilitated the release of millions of Naira to influence the election of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) in favor of the government’s preferred candidate during the June 2021 Kwara NUJ election.
2. On 5th October, 2022, Fresh Insight, where Abdulrasheed Akogun works published an investigative story revealing how Gov. AbdulRazaq diverted N138m to build EFCC facility. 24hours after the misappropriation exposé, office of the CPS – Rafiu Ajakaye reported the submission of a petition to Kwara Police Command to investigate alleged defamation by Akogun brothers, however, based on the comment on WhatsApp group.
3. The Police invited the Dare Akogun and Abdulrasheed Akogun for fact-finding on October 13, 2022
4. Akogun brothers as responsible citizens honored Police invitation. The duo confirmed raising the allegations and promise to substantiate their claims before the court.
5. Police Commissioner in Kwara State, CP Paul Odama advised Dare Akogun and Abdulrasheed Akogun to write apology letter the Chief Press Secretary which they refused and requested to have their days in court.
READ ALSO: #FreeTheAkoguns: ASKOMP, Sobi FM issue Joint Press Statement on Detention of two Journalists in Kwara
6. Police detained them on Thursday but told ASKOMP and their friends on Friday morning that the duo were no longer in their custody.
7. After the duo were declared missing by the protesters and Police custody as their last whereabouts. Police later admitted arresting the Akogun brothers and promise to arraign them within 24 hours
8. Police arraigned them on Friday before Ilorin Magistrate Court.
9. The magistrate court remanded them in prison to October 19, 2022
10. Dare Akogun and Abdulrasheed Akogun will appear before Ilorin Magistrate Court on Wednesday October 19, 2022 for commencement of trial.